After two months now in the Victoria training centre I’ve adjusted somewhat to the load and am more resigned to the work involved on a daily basis. The first month was filled with a lot of anxiety witnessing myself slow down under the increased volume. That anxiety is still there, but it’s much less and manageable. Every athlete deals with it. I’ve had glimpses of where I’m going during this most recent week of training with some faster pieces in the single. I’m also focussing on sweeping now with my pair partner, Kevin Kowalyk. We’re both scullers being converted to sweepers, so it’s going to be a process to get up to speed with the rest of the group. Luckily, we seem to be picking it up pretty quickly and have already had a chance to show our speed/power with hopefully much more to come. We’re on a fast track learning curve so to speak with the intention of earning a seat in the 8. It’s funny to think about learning a new skill (sweeping) and competing with the top guys who have been doing it for many years. At the same time, why not? Kevin and I are both quick scullers and it’s one less oar to worry about anyway. I think we’re going to get a lot faster in the coming weeks.
- Good of you to share this with your fellow athletes, @JulienBahain It takes courage to be transparent like this! twitter.com/JulienBahain/s… 1 week ago
- RT @gameplandematch: #New Apply to be a mentee with this new mentorship program for athletes. More: mygameplan.ca/game-plan-ment… Apply here: ht… 2 weeks ago
- Another great interview from Paralympian, Kevin Rempel, commenting on Invictus Games: cbc.ca/player/play/10… 2 weeks ago
- RT @dundurnpress: Let's talk illustrated for this month's #DundurnBehindTheCovers: dndrn.ca/BTCSept @ColleenNelson14 @JeremiahFBrown… 3 weeks ago
- RT @mikeybraith: 2 week bootcamp @SmithBusiness as I embark on the Master of Entrepreneurship and Innovation w support from @gameplandematc… 4 weeks ago
Top Posts & Pages